Holy Trinity Church was originally built in Shrub Hill by William Jeffrey Hopkins in 1866 to serve the east side of the city centre following the arrival of the railway in 1850. This church was demolished in 1969. In the 1950's more new housing was being developed in the Ronkswood area about 1 mile further east of Shrub Hill and a mission church dedicated to St Matthew was established there in 1952. The Parish of Holy Trinity and St Matthew was formed in 1964 following the closure of Holy Trinity Church in Shrub Hill and amalgamation with the St Matthew church in Ronkswood.
The Holy Trinity and St Matthew's Church building (commonly referred to as 'The Drum' stood in the centre of the Ronkswood estate and had been a central part of the community for many decades until it was sadly demolished in 2015 after becoming structurally unstable.
Whilst we have no building at present we believe that a church is more than a building and we continue as a church to serve our community whilst holding our Sunday worship at The Punchbowl Inn which runs adjacent to the church site.
Our team of fundraisers are also working tirelessly to fund-raise for a new church building.